Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bill Evans: playing against the time


This is a beautiful CD. Evans is more than a legend in Jazz music. He presents the wonderful landsacpe of Jazz before me. In his music, I come into the spirit of freedom and wonderful imagination. It is subtle and romantic.

In this NPR program, Marian McPartland, a long term friend and an admirer of Evans, had very interesting conversation after each piece of music played by Evans and Marian herself.

Marian wrote at the end: The show was coming to a close, and I know both of us were sorry the afternoon had to end. We decided to play "I love you", and Bill again led the way, and I followed. There is a closeness and intimacy that develops when playing two pianos, as each one listens to the other and tries to match the mood, stay on top of the time, keep the whole thing flowing. With me it was intimacy born of my total admiration and respect for him."

It is about love in his music, like soft snow melting into the earth in the spring.

==================
Waltz For Debby
All Of You
In Your Own Sweet Way
The Touch Of Your Lips
Reflections In D
The Days Of Wine And Roses
This Is All I Ask
While We're Young
I Love You

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home